Wednesday, June 30, 2010

GRIPES AND MOANS

So there have been some new accessories out there circulating among the fashion world that have really been eating at me...its these Jennifer Behr headbands! Now I think they are cute and all but they are REALLY simple designs and they are CRAZY! BANANAS! OVERBOARD! expensive!! Let's have a look see and I will gripe some more....

Ok, to start there is this Blue Sailors Knot headband for a mere (cough, cough) $172.00

Then there is this obviously much more complicated design... a Vintage Gold Knot Headband for $225.00

Then here is where things get OUTRAGEOUS, this Spiked Turban is $498.00...WHaaWHaaaT??!!!?? Are you serious, oh, I forgot to mention, it is SOLD OUT!

You know, to each their own I guess...but it just makes me mad that in this day and economy someone can charge almost $500.00 for a headband. I don't know much about this Jennifer Behr (and maybe I should school myself) but it seems from her website that she does a lot of bridal headbands, so MAYBE I get it for a wedding, you want to have a nice crystaly $200 and something headband, its a "special occasion", blah de blah de blah...but these are just for casual use unless you are having a nautical or goth themed wedding...hhhmmmm....
I think what gets me is that these headbands are floating around fashion websites and articles like it is not a crazy splurge...And I feel like it is something you can make yourself!! A nice DIY weekend project!!...If I had $500.00 to splurge with, I would buy shoes, maybe that's crazy too...Who knows?? AAggghhhhh!!! I'm making myself crazy!! I am going to leave you with my boyfriend's comment when I was telling him about this post..."Fashion people love expensive shit." Yeah, I guess it all comes down to little items reminding the rest of us what social class we are in!

SIDENOTE: So I was searching around the web to post some cheaper alternatives and I didn't really find any that I loved but I DID find a tutorial on how to make your OWN hair into a rope headband...and I think I LOVE it...check it out HERE!





1 comment: